Colton Fire Department
Chief: LeRoy Koopman
Assistant Chief: Jerrit Pederson, Monte Koopman
Address: 306 E. 7th St., Colton, SD
Department requirements: At least 21 years old, Clean criminal record.
Number of members: 25
Number of EMTs: 12
Average calls per year: 80
Department established: 1911
The Colton Fire Department was established on January 9, 1911 and started keeping records in 1922. At that time the department consisted of 28 members with only
meager protective equipment. In 1937 the department also added a Chevy fire truck and slowly added more equipment over the years. In 1958 a new IHC 250 gallon
pumper was purchased and put into service until 1983 when a new GMC 1,000 gallon pumper was purchased. In 1977 a Rescue truck was purchased and in 1978 the department
moved into a new station. Since then the department has progressed in various ways and have raised money for new equipment and vehicles throughout the years. At this time
the Colton Fire Department consists of 2 engines, 2 tankers, 1 heavy rescue truck, 1 wildland fire truck and a combination wieldland/rescue II. Our roster consists of 34
firefighters of which 13 are also EMTs and 1 paramedic.
Select A City For